The 5 steps to be ready for your first competition
What to eat the week prior
- The less change the better
3 days out – 48-72 hours are necessary to properly fuel and hydrate. Stock carbohydrate stores (increase glycogen)
WATER: need water to store glycogen
FATS & PROTEINS: reduce the amount of fats and proteins and re-direct them to carbohydrate sources.
2 days out:
CARBS: higher in good carbs and low in fat (1:3 or 2:3 protein: carb ratio) so that glycogen storage can occur (sweet potato, white jasmine rice, cream of rice, & baby foods bc of their high digestibility)
FATS: do not deplete fats or fruits, just choose easier to digest versions: Almond butter over almonds.
FRUITS: Whole fruits are high in fiber and a digestive stall, choose baby foods, watermelon or bananas over whole fruits.
HIGH CARB meal with a minimal amount of protein to slow the insulin response
Ex: Yam, Redskin Potato, Cream of rice. (Goal is to have the carbs carry over into the morning)
- What to eat the day of the competition
Easily digested foods (digestion = energy)
– Baby foods, applesauce
– Low food volume, high nutrient density
Eat 1.5 hours before the competition
– Should be high in carbohydrates and water
– Boiled Egg Whites, plain chicken breast, sweet potato baby food, banana baby food, cream of rice, etc. . .
Post WOD recovery:
– Low volume, easily digestible protein & carbohydrate (little to no fat)
– Larabars, baby food, protein shakes, boiled egg whites, apple sweet potato mash
– HYDRATION: water & BCAA’s all day long!
– Powdered Gatorade pick me up
- How to taper (for a Saturday Comp)
– Begin decreasing the volume 2 -3 days out.
– Thursday, be cautious of movement that get your overly sore.
– Friday, get the juices flowing or TAKE OFF (depends on body)
- How to warm-up
Begin 30-40 minutes before your heat CHECK-IN time.
– General warm-up: Row, Run, Jump Rope, Jumping Jacks (get warm)
– Joint Mobility: Increase the ROM of tight areas
– Dynamic: Get the heart pumping (think line drills)
– Specific: Skill or movement specific for the event
- What to pack
Weather appropriate clothing
etc. . .
Sunscreen (if outdoors)